Currently
°F
Forecasts

Odor of Gas Leads to Carbon Monoxide Emergency in Apartment Building

HOLLYWOOD, Md. - On December 30, 2020, at approximately 10:50 a.m., fire and rescue personnel responded to 24550 Mt. Pleasant Road for the odor of gas in an apartment building. 

Units arrived on location to find contractors working in one of the apartments with gas powered equipment causing the odor of gas. The equipment was quickly shut off, however, the gas powered equipment was putting off Carbon Monoxide (CO) that quickly filled up the entire apartment building.

Crews utilized the four-gas meters to find high levels of CO throughout the Apartment Building and immediately evacuated all occupants.

Crews identified two patients who were showing signs and symptoms of CO exposure that resulted in them being transported to the hospital by EMS.

Crews ventilated the entire structure and cleared out each apartment.

After ventilation was completed, Crews metered the building to find all normal levels.  Units from Hollywood picked up and cleared the scene at 12:00 p.m..

Reminder:  Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas.  High levels of Carbon Monoxide in your body could have deadly consequences.  We ask all of our residents, if you have gas powered appliances(Stove, Hot water heater, fireplace, etc.) or an attached garage that you store vehicles in, to please make sure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector.  You can find these detectors at any local Hardware or Big Box Stores.

All photos courtesy of the Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department

Around the Web

Loading...

0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...