Charles County Public Schools Postpones Phase 2 Reopening Plan

LA PLATA, Md. - A message from Superintendent Kimberly A. Hill — Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) is prepared to move to Phase 2 of our Reopening Plan; however, the recent rise in COVID-19 cases has caused us to pause our move to in-person learning for students.

We will continue to monitor the data and reassess; however, we will not consider a move to Phase 2 until after the first of the year because of the upcoming holiday season. CCPS will continue virtual learning for all students until further notice.

Our teachers and staff have worked tirelessly to prepare for students' return, and we appreciate their efforts. We know that these preparations will serve us well when we can welcome students back into our buildings. CCPS is committed to the return of in-person instruction and will continue to provide professional development opportunities to support hybrid instruction.

  • Effective Nov. 9, employees who were on Phase 1-approved telework will be permitted to return to telework. School buildings will remain open for teachers and instructional assistants to work from their classrooms if they choose. All school-based staff is expected to report to their worksite tomorrow, Friday, Nov. 6. (Note: Classes will no longer be delayed on Monday, Nov. 9. Classes will start on time.)
  • · Student learning centers will reopen on Monday, Nov. 9. We hope to reopen the internet cafes at Henry E. Lackey High School and Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School on Tuesday, Nov. 10.
  • The athletic competition season is on hold until we move to Phase 2.
  • Student athletes may continue off season conditioning during Phase 1.
  • AlphaBest sites will not open until we enter Phase 2.

These are difficult decisions that we know are disruptive to our community. We want our students back in school because that is where they learn best. Throughout this pandemic, we have promised to make decisions based on the health and safety of students and staff. At this time, we believe postponing Phase 2 is in the best interest of our students and staff.

We will continue to monitor the data with the hope of moving to Phase 2 in mid-January.

Around the Web


1 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...