Currently
°F
Forecasts

Boys honored for saving disabled grandmother from fire

  • By

Oxford, MD -- Two boys were honored by the Maryland State Fire Marshall for saving their disabled grandmother from a house fire in Oxford on August 3. The ceremony was held at the Oxford Fire Company.

The fire broke out in a bedroom after a cigarette ignited a home oxygen unit. 

Alexander Green (12) and Trevor Green (13) sprang into action to save their grandmother, Deborah Cawley.

Ms. Cawley suffered from ALS, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

Neighbor Donald Broskey assisted in the rescue. Trevor was burned on the hand and arms while helping to save his grandmother.

"Many people do not know how they will react in an emergency situation like the fire these three individuals faced," said Fire Marshal Brian Geraci. "Their quick-thinking under immense threat to life safety is a testament to their courage and conviction. They are a shining example of what it means to be a hero to someone."

Ms. Cawley, 64,  suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to approximately 10% of her body. A firefighter was also injured battling the blaze, which did $325,000 in damages to the home and resulted in the loss of family pets.

"Her grandchildren responded with maturity well-beyond their years," said State Fire Marshal Upper Eastern Regional Office Deputy Chief Caryn McMahon.

Sadly, Ms. Cawley passed away August 26 after a long battle with ALS.

Around the Web

Loading...

0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...