Currently
°F
Forecasts

Boy burned rescuing woman from fire

  • By

Talbot County, MD -- A 13-year-old boy was injured while rescuing a 64-year-old woman from a fire on Saturday afternoon. 

The State Fire Marshall says the fire broke out in a house on Evergreen Road in Oxford around 2:20 p.m. Saturday. The boy suffered superficial burns to his arm and hand while rescuing the woman. She suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to approximately 10% of her body. She was transported via the Trooper 6 medevac helicopter, in stable condition, to Bayview Burn Center to receive treatment.

Her rescuer was treated and released at University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Easton. 

A firefighter also suffered a hand injury and was later treated and released.

Forty-one firefighter from the Oxford Volunteer Fire Company spent an hour extinguishing the flames. Officials say the fire was accidental, caused by smoking while using a home oxygen unit in a bedroom. The financial loss is estimated at $275,000 for the structure and $50,000 in belongings. 

In addition to the human injuries, two cats were killed and two more are missing. 

Around the Web

Loading...

3 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...