St. Mary's Men's Soccer Earns Second Draw of the Week

Reality kicked in for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team on Aug. 12 – no, they did not lose, but the typical English weather returned.  Getting up for their match against Heywood St. James, the Seahawks discovered that it was in the high 50s and raining.  The excitement of the Oldham vs. Swansea match that they attended the day before was all slightly dampened by the bad weather.  But they had to carry on and that they did.

With a bit of a peculiar entrance, St. Mary’s arrived at the club's field only to find that no one was there and there was only an hour to game time.  There were no goals on the field and nobody in sight.  However, everyone knows that the English certainly don't cancel matches of a little rain.  So about 40 minutes until game time, the first signs of life appeared and the club manager showed up to let us into the changing rooms.  The Heywood St. James side consisted of some youth team players (16 years of age) and some amateur players (20-40 years of age).  And it would prove to be a good match for the team.

The Hawks got to work against Heywood St. James on a plush, if somewhat rolling field, at 10:30 a.m.  Sophomore forward Misha Simon (Silver Spring, Md./Good Counsel) showed the first signs of life as he nutmegged one defender and jumped around another before the ball was cleared by Heywood.  It was not much longer until the Hawks discovered what the other team was all about.  Simon again picked up the ball in the attacking half and again ‘megged the same defender but he was stopped there as the St. James defender had seen enough and put the studs to Simon's ankles.  No card, just a warning, Simon was okay, but it was just getting started.

The rough play continued as senior midfielder Tim Guinan (Germantown, Md./Heights School) was cynically fouled from behind and then senior forward Mikael Tigrett (Hagerstown, Md./Hagerstown) was scythed down at the top of the box.  Still no cards, but the Hawks kept their heads and continued to play.  After the fourth reckless foul, the referee FINALLY decided he needed to gain control and cautioned one of the St. James’ defenders.  The Hawks had been showing good drive and initiative in attack in the beginning stages of the game and St. James had to nip in to clear on more than one occasion.  Somewhat undeterred but very much aware of the physical play, SMCM realized they had to play quickly in the interest of self-preservation and for the most part they did.

Just as St. James was beginning to get a foothold in the game, the Seahawks made their breakthrough.  Tigrett was looking to latch onto a deep cross and was crudely bundled over by two opposing defenders in the penalty area.  A penalty kick was awarded to the Hawks and Tigrett himself confidently claimed the ball and buried the spot kick, giving St. Mary’s a 1-0 lead.

However, St. James was getting stronger and beginning to display some quick attack moves.  Ten minutes after the Hawks had taken the lead, St. James quick attacks paid off as they were awarded a penalty, if not somewhat questionable, but a penalty nonetheless.  St. James sent a high deep ball into the box and as senior goalkeeper Tim Carrier (Crownsville, Md./Old Mill) came to punch it clear, he was challenged by a St. James' player.  Carrier made contact with the ball but the ball seemed to get caught between Carrier's fists and the opposing player’s head.  The referee deemed Carrier guilty of foul play and pointed to the spot.  A good penalty taken by St. James and it was tied again.  Halftime arrived and the Hawks left the field somewhat rattled.  The referee's i

Around the Web


0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...