Man Injured as Propane Tank Explodes

  • Charles County
  • By

Maryland State Fire Marshal's are investigating an accidental fire that left one man injured and a vehicle destroyed.

Firefighters from Potomac Heights VFD responded to 9 Irving Place in Indian Head on June 20 around 10:40 a.m., for the report of a vehicle fire.

Upon arrival, it was discovered that the 28-year-old victim, identified as Brian Hill,  was traveling home with a full grill style propane cylinder in the bed of his 2006 Ford F-150 pick-up truck. As he arrived home, the tank either started to vent from overpressure or was leaking from the valve. Neighbors reported seeing light colored smoke coming from the rear of the truck as he drove into his driveway. The owner attempted to quickly remove the propane cylinder from the bed of his truck when an explosion occurred consequently causing a fire, which destroyed the entire truck and resulted in non-life threatening injuries.

Hill was treated for first and second-degree burns at a local hospital but was later released.

Damage estimate is ringing in at $16,000.


Around the Web


0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...