Our Community Needs Your Help: Reach Out to Fire Victims

  • By

The Patuxent Moose Lodge has announced that the families displaced in the Laurel Glen apartments fire may begin picking up needed supplies at the Moose Lodge Family Center today, April 28 beginning at 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. Please call the contact numbers below for more detail. The Lodge will be continuing this effort through May 23. The Lodge will also be accepting more donations at the same time.

"The Moose Lodge Family Center in Hollywood has set–up a collection and distribution point for donations of serviceable household goods to support the community recovery efforts for the family’s affected by the tragic Laurel Glen apartment fire last Saturday.

“The Red Cross has provided immediate Emergency Needs for the families and now the local community is involved in the next steps of recovery to support these families,” said Mike Zabko, American Red Cross Southern Maryland Chapter CEO.

The Lodge # 2393 Family Center is located at 23886 Mervell Dean Rd., Hollywood MD 20636. That is near the corner of Clarks Landing Rd and Rt. 235. Contact phone numbers are (240) 298-7018 and (301) 672-7277.  The Moose Family Center is accepting serviceable clothing, household items, linens, non perishable foods and other items to distribute and provide support for the families in the recovery process from this local disaster. 

Financial contributions are being accepted by the local chapter American Red Cross to replenish the local disaster relief fund which is used for immediate emergency needs, Food, Clothing, and Shelter such as was provided Saturday evening and through the past week.

Any interested persons, company, church, or community organization interested in participating in this fundraising effort is asked to register with the American Red Cross Southern Maryland Chapter at 888-276-2767.  

Fire Rips Through California Apartment Complex: 17 Families Displaced

On Saturday, April 17, around 6:20 p.m. multiple firefighting units were called to the scene of a working structure fire in the 22700 block of Laurel Glen Road in California.

Heavy fire and smoke was showing through the roof of the multiple unit apartment complex when firefighters arrived. Upon approach, fire officials called for second alarm. 

Over 55 firefighters from Bay District, Valley Lee, Hollywood, Leonardtown, Seventh District, Solomons and Mechanicsville responded to the call. According to Bay District Fire Chief, Joe Gould, the fire is reported to have destroyed five units and damaged 18 others. Over 30 people, a total of 17 families who reside in the complex were not able to return to their homes. The Red Cross is assisting.

Four firefighters were injured during firefighting operations. Three firefighters were transported to St. Mary's Hospital and treated for electrical shock. A fourth firefighter suffered a broken finger. No word on their condition at this time.

Initial reports indicate the fire originated on the back deck of apartment 204. After further investigation, the fire was determined to be accidental from discarded smoking materials on a second floor balcony. The fire spread up the outside balconies to adjacent apartments before entering the roof and attic areas.

Damage is estimated to be $1,000,000.00

Photos courtesy of John Martin and Tony Fleming.


Around the Web


0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...