Discarded cigarette causes Waldorf house fire

Story Category: Fire and Rescue News »

Discarded cigarette causes Waldorf house fire

Waldorf, MD - 11/4/2013

Printer friendly

By Dick Myers

Photo courtesy Southern Maryland Breaking News
Photo courtesy Southern Maryland Breaking News

A fire caused by an improperly discarded cigarette caused substantial damage Monday morning to a house in Waldorf, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. The fire was reported at 9:11 a.m. and caused $30,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents of the home at 8668 Valley Drive. The occupants, Rich and Nancy Kilroy are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

It took 55 firefighters from the Waldorf, Accokeek, Potomac Heights, La Plata and Bryans Road volunteer fire departments along with members of the Allentown and Oxon Hill fire departments 10 minutes to bring the blaze under control. There were no injuries as the result of the fire.

The fire was investigated by Deputy Fire Marshal Melissa Bean.



News Feedback NOTE: Views expressed below do not reflect the views or opinions of TheBayNet.com, or the employees of TheBayNet.com.


Send This Story to a Friend!






Back to Top




© 2005-2014 TheBayNet, Inc.