UPDATE: Child Dies in Garage Door Accident

Story Category: The Bay Net Exclusives »

UPDATE: Child Dies in Garage Door Accident

Waldorf, MD - 4/6/2013

Printer friendly

By Marty Madden

4/7/13, 3 p.m.  -- On April 5 at about 4 p.m., Charles County officers responded to the 2900 block of Eutaw Forest Drive in Waldorf for the report of an injured child. A preliminary investigation showed Leilah Dawn Coady, 3, was in the garage portion of her house when she apparently pushed a garage door button which was affixed to the wall and within her reach. The girl ran under the door as it was closing and became pinned underneath as the door went down. She was discovered by her mother a short time later. Emergency responders arrived and transported the victim to Civista Medical Center where she was pronounced dead. Investigators from the Criminal Investigations Division and the CCSO Forensics Unit responded and processed the scene for evidence.  The garage door did have sensors on either side and detectives are working to determine if the door was functioning properly. The manner of death appears to be accidental. The investigation is on-going.

4/6/13: Authorities in Charles County are currently investigating the death of a 3-year-old Waldorf girl who sustained mortal injuries when a garage door came down on her.

According to Charles County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Diane Richardson, the incident occurred Friday, April 5 at approximately 4 p.m. at a residence on Eutaw Forest Drive.

Richardson reported investigators have surmised the child slipped out of the house and into the garage. The child was able to reach and press the garage door button. Police believe the girl tried to run out of the garage when the door fell on her. Richardson said forensic personnel are trying to determine if sensors in the automatic garage door opener failed to function. Richardson said another possibility is the child “may have been small enough” to elude detection by the sensors, which are supposed to halt the door’s closure.

The child’s mother discovered the girl, who was rushed to Civista Medical Center in LaPlata. The girl, whose name has not yet been released by police, was pronounced dead at Civista.

“It was a freak accident,” said Richardson, who added that this accident and the Wednesday incident in White Plains in which a 5-year-old girl was mauled by two dogs have stressed out Charles County’s police and emergency responders.

“It’s been a tough week,” said Richardson.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com

News Feedback NOTE: Views expressed below do not reflect the views or opinions of TheBayNet.com, or the employees of TheBayNet.com.

Send This Story to a Friend!

Back to Top

© 2005-2014 TheBayNet, Inc.