Story Category: Local Schools »
Calvert County Accepting Applications for Pre-Kindergarten
By Calvert County Public Schools
Calvert County Public Schools is now accepting applications for pre-kindergarten for the 2013-2014 school year. The pre-kindergarten program was developed by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) to meet the needs of low income students who may not have the necessary readiness skills to be successful in school. Students are selected based on the criteria and guidelines set by MSDE and Calvert County Public Schools.
Children must be four years old by September 1, 2013 to be considered for the pre-kindergarten program and meet one of the following prioritized criteria:
Children who meet the age eligibility and any of the following categories should apply:
- Child’s family must be eligible for free or reduced price meals.
- Homeless students are also eligible
- Child participated in State or Federal Early Childhood Programs
- Head Start
- English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Other Academic (Educational) Needs
- Preschool Special Education (student with IEP)
- Child Find Referral
- Child with demonstrated academic delay (as measured by a CCPS identified developmental assessment)
- Families whose incomes are up to ten percent over the Free and Reduced Meals Income Guidelines
Applications will be processed and applicants will receive an eligibility determination letter. Students cannot be registered for pre-kindergarten until the application process has been completed.
Applicants meeting the income eligibility criteria in category I, will receive immediate notice of a pre-kindergarten assignment. Those who are eligible under categories II and III will not receive notice of a pre-kindergarten assignment until September if space is still available.
Applications can be obtained from:
- Any elementary school
- Calvert County Public Schools Central Office - Division of Instruction
- www.calvertnet.k12.md.us – click the Parent Tab then look under Forms
For more information, contact Cheryl Yates, Supervisor of Early Childhood and Adult Education, at 410-535-7264.
Be The First To Comment On This Story!
Send This Story to a Friend!