Oily rags spark restaurant fire

Steak in a Sack fire in Charlotte Hall MD September 4

 UPDATE - 11:44 a.m. Sept. 5
Charlotte Hall, MD - A Labor Day fire at a St. Mary’s County restaurant was the result of spontaneous combustion, state investigators reported. The fire at the Steak in a Sack Restaurant on Three Notch Road in Charlotte Hall was discovered by a passerby at approximately 9:41 p.m., the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office reported. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $100,000. No injuries were reported.

“The business closed at 3 p.m. and employees left without issue,” a deputy fire marshal reported. “A passerby observed smoke and fire inside the front windows and called 911. The fire was contained in the tenant space.”

Thirty-five volunteer firefighters were dispatched to the one-alarm blaze and brought the fire under control in 25 minutes. The preliminary cause was determined to be spontaneous combustion from oily rags placed in a container.

Contact Marty Madden at

UPDATE 10:38 p.m. Sept. 4

Charlotte Hall, MD - A fire that may have originated in a kitchen resulted in damage to a restaurant in St. Mary's County Monday night, Sept. 4. The blaze was reported around 9 p.m. at the Streak in a Sack on Three Notch Road in the area of Golden Beach Road. Smoke was showing from the roof of the one-story building.

A passerby who discovered the fire told The that was at a nearby Exxon getting gas for his vehicle when he noticed smoke coming from the building. He drove over to the building and went around back. The passerby, David Gates, said he could see heavy smoke coming from the roof. He went around front and felt the door handle, which was hot and he said the entire front of the building was filled with heavy smoke.

No injuries were reported. A report on the incident is pending.

Charlotte Hall, MD - Around 9 p.m. authorities in St. Mary's County reported a restaurant in Charlotte Hall was on fire. The structure is Steak in a Sack on Three Notch Road and Golden Beach Road. Smoke is reportedly showing from the roof. 

In addition to units from St. Mary's and Charles, crews from Prince Frederick are at the scene. They are reporting they are getting a line on a fire in the kitchen.

There are reports Golden Beach Road is being temporarily closed to traffic. 

Around the Web


5 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...