Baltimore removes Confederate Statues under cover of darkness

  • Charles County,St Mary's County,Calvert County,Prince George's County,Anne Arundel County
  • By

Baltimore, MD- Under the cover of darkness, Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh and the Baltimore City Council ordered that four Confederate monuments be taken down. 


Around 11:30 p.m. 8/15/2017 public works crews and hired teams began removing the four monuments. The list of the monuments are:


Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument

Mount Royal Avenue near Mosher Street

Erected in 1903 by the Maryland Daughters of the Confederacy at what was then a gateway to Druid Hill Park, the monument by French-born New York sculptor F. Wellington Ruckstuhl depicts the allegorical figure Glory holding up a dying Confederate soldier, who's holding the Confederate Battle Flag. Inscriptions include "Gloria Victis," (glory to the vanquished), "to the soldiers and sailors of Maryland in the service of the Confederate States of America 1861-1865," and the Confederate States of America motto "Deo Vindice" (God our Vindicator).


Confederate Women’s Monument

Bishop Square Park at University Parkway and Charles Street

Dedicated in 1917, the privately and publicly funded sculpture by MICA instructor J. Maxwell Miller was part of an effort across the south to honor the sacrifices of Confederate women. Paid for by United Confederate Veterans, the Maryland Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the State of Maryland, it portrays a dying Confederate solider with a tattered Confederate Battled Flag and two women, one cradling him and another standing, peering into the horizon. Inscriptions include "The Brave at Home" and "In difficulty and danger, regardless of self, they fed the hungry, clothed the needy, nursed the wounded, and comforted the dying."


Robert E. Lee and Thomas. J. “Stonewall” Jackson Monument

Wyman Park Dell near Art Museum and Wyman Park drives

Dedicated in 1948, the bronze statue depicts Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson atop horses before the Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, which, despite Jackson's death, came to be viewed as one of Lee's greatest victories. The monument was paid for through the will of banker J. Henry Ferguson, who died in 1928 and for whom the Confederate generals were childhood heroes. Sculptor Laura Gardin Fraser, hired through a design competition, commissioned architect John Russell Pope for the base. Inscriptions include, "They were great generals and Christian soldiers and waged war like gentlemen."


Roger B. Taney Monument

Mount Vernon Place north of Washington Monument

Erected in 1887, the sculpture of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, a Maryland native, is a copy of one at Maryland's State House by renowned sculptor William Henry Rinehart and commissioned by William Thompson Walters, whose art collection became what's now the Walters Art Museum. Unlike the other monuments reviewed by the commission, the Taney statue makes no overt references to the Confederacy. However, Taney's authorship of the Dred Scott decision, which ruled that Congress couldn't regulate slavery and that blacks weren't citizens, has caused him to be linked with the Confederate cause.


Excerpts on statues via:Special Commission to Review Baltimore’s Public Confederate Monuments Report on Baltimore’s Public Confederate Monuments

Around the Web


40 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...