Frederick Miller Johnson, MD, 91

Advertisement

Advertisement
(3/13/2013)
Life CelebrationFrederick Miller Johnson, M.D. (November 12, 1921- March 13, 2013) died at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home from congestive heart failure.

He was born in Columbus, Ohio to Orville Miller Johnson of New Vienna, Ohio and Maud Okey Johnson of Marietta, Ohio. Great-grandson to General A.J. Warner of the Tenth Pennsylvania Reserves, three-term Congressman from Ohio, and superintendent of the Rock Creek trolley in Washington D.C.

Predeceased by his wife of 52 years Joanne Milash Johnson (d. Jan. 16, 1998), and his brothers David and Warner.

Survived by his sons Paul (JoAnn) of Fayetteville, PA; Michael (Cindy) of La Plata, MD, William (Julie Baldwin) of Temple Terrace, FL and Andrew of La Plata, MD along with his daughter Susan Johnson-Manicke (Robert) of Danbury, CT. He also leaves behind five grandchildren Christopher McPhee, Joanna Wright, Nicholas Johnson, Nathaniel Johnson and Isabella Johnson.

His family moved to Takoma Park, MD in 1923. As a youth, he sailed the Potomac with his fellow Sea Scout brothers and played tennis He graduated from Montgomery Blair High School in 1939 and received his Bachelor degree in Biology from the University of Maryland, College Park in 1943. In 1942 he was the Sports editor of the Diamondback newspaper and editor of the Diamondback yearbook in 1943. He belonged to three fraternities: The Epsilon Gamma Chapter of Alpha Tau Omega, Pi Delta Epsilon (Vice President), and a member of the Omicron Delta Kappa (Sigma Circle), an honorary leadership fraternity.

His studies were interrupted by the war in 1944, which he entered in the second wave of D-day. He served in the 1st Army, 9th Division, 3rd Battalion, seeing action as a Corpsman in France before being wounded in Belgium by mortar fire. He received the Purple Heart and returned to his unit in time for the Battle of the Bulge, the capture of the Remagen Bridge, and liberation of several POW and concentration camps in Germany.

Upon his return, he married Joanne in Sharon, PA in 1946 in a traditional Serbian Orthodox wedding. They had originally met at a USO social before he shipped over to France. They moved to Greenbelt MD where he completed his Master degree in Zoology from the University of Maryland and entered medical school at the University of Maryland in Baltimore. He graduated in 1951 and completed his residency at Baltimore City Hospital in 1953. He first started general practice in Selbyville, Delaware before moving to La Plata, Maryland where he was a family physician from 1954 to 1981. He was Chief of Staff at Physicians Memorial Hospital from 1972-74. From 1981-1991, he was a family physician for NSA at Ft. Meade. He then returned to private practice part time until his retirement in 1999. He was a member of the Maryland Chirurgical Society and the Medical Alumni Association of the University of Maryland. He was a long-standing member of the American Academy of Family Physicians. He mentored University of Maryland medical students in their general practice clerkships. As a general practitioner, he performed comprehensive care unheard of today. He often made house calls, delivered over two thousand babies, administered anesthesia, set bones, and took turns with his colleagues in emergency room duties at the then-new Physicians Memorial Hospital. Recognizing a public health need, he promoted a polio vaccine program with Amish families in southern Maryland.

Doc, as everyone knew him, was very active in the community, serving as Scoutmaster for Troop 423 from 1959 to 1968, team physician for the La Plata High School football team, and actor- with his wife and friends-in many productions of the Port Tobacco Players. He enjoyed Sunday Bible studies at the United Methodist Church in La Plata. He was a charter member of the Rotary Club in La Plata. He was an avid golfer who won President's Cup and twice finished runner-up in Hawthorne Country Club championships. He participated in Free State Seniors Golf Association and Maryland Golf Association events. Fulfilling a life long passion, Doc painted landscapes and scenes from southern Maryland. He and his wife loved to travel and were frequent attendees of the Kennedy Center and Arena Stage. He also found time to get his pilot's license to fly small planes. Reading history books and doing the daily crossword puzzle were always part of his daily routine. We will miss his irreverent sense of humor and the compassionate care he gave to us all.

Visitation will be from 2-4pm and 6-8pm, with Funeral Service at 7:00pm on Thursday, March 21, 2013 at Brinsfield-Echols Funeral Home, 30195 Three Notch Road, CharlotteHall, MD 20622. Interment will be at Trinity Memorial Gardens, Waldorf, MD on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 12:00pm.

We would like to thank all who helped him during his lengthy and severe illness, especially the staff of Civista Hospital, Charlotte Hall Veteran's Home, Hospice of St. Mary's, Calvert Memorial Hospital, Dr. Burke, Dr. Sanchez, Dr. Wilhelm and especially Dr. Cafferty at Charlotte hall Veteran's Home for the superb care they provided him in his final years.

Memorial contributions in his name may be made to:
Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
29449 Charlotte Hall Road
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622

A completed donation form must accompany all donations received by the Veterans Home. Please click below for a copy of the form that is required by the MD Dept. of Veterans Affairs: http://www.charhall.org/documents/DonationForm02013.pdf
or:

Hospice of St Mary's
P.O. Box 625
Leonardtown, MD
http://www.stmaryshospitalmd.org/hospice






© 2005-2014 TheBayNet, Inc.